Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Raw Days Nineteen to Twenty-Two

Detoxing.  Even the idea of it makes me run for the hills.  Detoxing involuntarily is even ickier!

I've never been one to "do a detox" because I know that healthy eating and exercising allows our bodies to naturally clean out all the time.  I'd heard from others, who went from completely terrible food habits to good ones, that detoxing is pretty darned unpleasant.  But I'd never had to deal with it, even back when I first started eating clean.

That is until now.  For the past six days, I've felt really really icky, kind of in cycles from pretty OK to super icky.  At first I thought I was coming down with something (which very rarely happens), then I thought it was allergies, but no medication did anything in the least, and it wasn't constant.  Then I spoke to my friend Carla, and she said I most likely am detoxing.

But how can I be detoxing?  It's not like I'm 100% raw.  But apparently "mostly raw" is enough!

It's OK though, because I know that I'm "peeling away a layer" of crud in my system.  I don't know about you, but I don't want crud in my body!  I keep picturing the stuff that can clog a drain sometimes--all slimy and a weird colour, with God knows what in it.  I don't want that in my body!!

During this time, I've of course continued trying new raw recipes, and drinking fabulous raw smoothies.  One of them was this:

Raw Zucchini Hummus


1 zucchini, chopped


1/3 cup cold-pressed olive oil (or other neutral oil, such as flax oil)


1/3 cup raw tahini


3 cloves garlic


3 tbsp lemon or lime juice


1/4 tsp sea salt


Preparation:

Combine all ingredients together in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy. Adjust seasonings, to taste.

(It isn't my recipe, but I can't for the life of me remember where I got it from.  So I can take no credit for this recipe whatsoever.)

I think next time I make it, I may use less than 3 cloves of garlic.  It was tasty, but MAN I was tasting raw garlic for like HOURS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment