Sunday, March 11, 2012

Different But Delish Chili (Vegan!)

Normally, any chili I make is beef-based, if only in the broth.  This time, I realized I didn't have any beef broth (I normally make my own from cheap bones I buy at the farmer's market--it's SO not the same to use the store kind!), but I forgot to buy bones!  So, I used vegetable bouillon cubes (they're made with just dried veggies and are very low-sodium).  I had to adjust the ingredients as well of course--and this is what I came up with!

(serves about 6)


Ingredients:

1 tsp olive oil

2 salt-free vegetable bouillon cubes

5 medium tomatoes, chopped fine

1 lb fresh shitake mushrooms, cleaned, chopped

3 cups mixed legumes (I used white beans, pinto beans, and adzuki beans), soaked overnight and boiled until almost cooked.

1 lb fresh mustard greens (or greens of your choice) chopped relatively finely

1 small handful fresh parsley, chopped (for digestion and lightening of flavour)

½ cup frozen edemame (optional)

Seasonings:

3 bay leaves

1 tsp ground ginger

2-3 tbsp dulse (optional)

1 tsp honey or maple syrup

1-2 tsp fresh lime juice

1 tsp garlic chili sauce (the kind with the rooster on it) optional.

Garlic powder/granules to taste (I used about 3 tbsp)

Onion powder to taste (I used about 3 tbsp)

Chili powder to taste (I like a lot)

1 tsp sesame oil

2 tbsp nurtitional yeast (optional--but better if you use it.  You can find it in health sections of supermarkets, and sometimes in bulk stores or bulk sections of health food stores)

Instructions:

In a spritz of olive oil, sautee mushrooms over medium-high heat. It’s always a good idea to sautee your mushrooms first, in any recipe you can—it brings out the mushroominess.

Add onions and cook until translucent, then add chopped tomatoes. Sautee for an additional 2 minutes or so.

Add bouillon cubes, and about 7 cups of water. More water can be added later if needed.

Add all seasonings, except fresh parsley.

Bring to a boil, then turn down to medium/medium low (depending on your stove), and simmer, covered, for about 2 hours. Stir occasionally.

Add remaining ingredients except fresh parsley, and simmer again, covered, for about 15 minutes, until greens are cooked. If you’re using something like spinach which takes no time to cook, adjust cooking time accordingly.

Add fresh parsley. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment